Preparing for your exam
Important information for patients to consider on the day of their exam and upon arrival at PET/CT of San Jose.
On The Day of the Exam
- Fast for at least 6 hours prior to your appointment, but drink plenty of water
- Do not exercise in the 24 hours preceding the scan
- Arrive on time for the PET/CT procedure.
- Bring the following:
- Insurance information
- Written order from your physician
- Films and reports from any previous diagnostic imaging procedure, including x-ray, PET/CT, CT, or MRI
- Wear warm and comfortable clothing
- Plan to spend 2-3 hours at the PET/CT imaging facility – exam times and procedures vary with each patient
Upon Arriving at PET/CT of San Jose
- Your medical history and any prior PET/CT exams will be reviewed
- Your blood sugar level will be checked; an imaging tracer (FDG) will be administered by IV
- A resting period of approximately 60 minutes will be required before scanning begins for the FDG to be distributed throughout your body